How Can We Help You?


Is there a minimum quantity requirement?

We have a minimum requirement of 100 units for 7" records and 300 units for 10" and 12" records. If you are doing multiple colors, each color need to be at least 300 records.


What is your standard turnaround time?

Demand for vinyl records greatly influences production times and at the present time demand is high, so we're trying to give you a realistic expectation of how long your order could take but our hope is to finish your order more quickly. Vinyl production is a delicate process with many steps, and the most we can ever promise is that we'll try our best. United Record Pressing is devoted to producing a quality product. This means that we will always take the time necessary to make sure that your record is manufactured to your specifications and is a product of which we can both be proud.

Contact us at for the most up-to-date turnaround times!


Can I pay extra to have my order finished faster?

United does not offer a ''rush'' option. As stated above, this is a delicate process. We understand and appreciate that our customers have their own deadlines they are working to meet. We will do everything we can to get your record to you on time, but we do ask that you allow four months to complete your order, understanding that time frames given are always an estimation.


What exactly is "lacquer mastering?" I already had my record mastered.

Lacquer Mastering refers to taking your music (originally on CD, DAT, analog tape, etc.) and transferring it onto a lacquer. A lacquer is a soft, waxy version of a record that is used to create the metal stampers. These stampers are then used to make your records in the vinyl presses. United will master your lacquers to RIAA standards. The actual Mixing, EQ-ing, etc., should be done prior to sending your source music to us to press your records. The source you send to United should sound like you want the music to sound on vinyl, sequenced in order with the correct spacing between each song and a longer space between sides.


How should I send in my music?

The actual Mixing, EQ-ing, etc., should be done prior to sending your source music to us to press your records. The source you send to United should sound like you want the music to sound on the vinyl record, sequenced in order with the correct spacing between each song and a longer space between sides.

Email your music to your United representative or ask them for more information.

If you prefer to send us higher bit rate files in a data format (burned to a CD), we will cut your lacquer using those files. There is an additional mastering charge for analog tape.


How much music can I fit on a... (7" 10" 12")?

Determining how much music can fit on a record is based in minutes and is not set in stone. We have our suggested maximums - what we know to be the range where you will generally have the best quality. These are as follows:

33 RPM:
7" - 6 minutes
10" - 12 minutes
12" - 18 minutes

45 RPM:
7" - 4.5 minutes
10" - 9 minutes
12" - 12 minutes

78 RPM:
10" - 4 minutes

These recommended maximums become more crucial with bass heavy music, and you may want to lower the max per side if your music is very bass heavy. The volume of your record is directly linked to the total time of each side. When the side length of a 12'' record is less than 9 minutes, the loudness will be at the maximum for 33 1/3 rpm cuts. However, in most cases, you lose about one decibel in volume for each minute over 13 minutes per side. Loss of output volume is the most common issue, but pops, skips, and distortion/loss in the frequency extremes can also occur.


What is a locked groove? Do I need that to keep the needle off the label?

A locked groove is a continuous loop of music the length of one full rotation of the record. Locked grooves can be silent but are usually used to repeat about 1.5 seconds of music until you pick up the needle. This is not necessary to keep the needle from playing the label at the end of the side. When we cut your lacquer we always try to include a lockout groove which does exactly that. For best results (to avoid overlap/self-erasure) the audio should stay under 1.5 seconds at 33 1/3 RPM and 1.00 at 45 RPM.


What's the difference between a Reference Lacquer and a test pressing?

A reference lacquer is a sample disc that is created before lacquer mastering or plating. These are rarely ordered and only really necessary if a customer is not certain their music will sound right on vinyl or if they are not sure their music will fit on a single LP. A test pressing is a sample press of your record using the same metal parts and the same color vinyl that will be used in your actual order. These are made with a generic label and shipped in generic packaging. We internally check the tests then send them to you to approve. Once these are approved we will move forward with your vinyl order. When sending in lacquers or metal parts, your test pressings are audio tested to ensure copyright clearance.


What are the matrix number, record number, and L-number?

The matrix number and record number are usually one and the same and selected by the customer. The record number can also be referred to as the catalog number. This is the letter/number combination used by labels/bands to identify their releases (i.e. ABC-123). The matrix number is the number etched into the record in the space between the grooves and the label. In most cases, this will be the same as the record number. Again, the selection of the matrix number is up to the customer. The ''L'' number, or job number, is the reference number assigned to your order by United. This is the number that all of your jobs information will be filed under, and it will identify your record in our system. The ''L'' refers to ''LP'' and will be the first letter if your record is a 12''. If your record is a 7'', your job will have a ''U'' number instead. If it is a 10'', it will have a ''T'' number. Think of the job number as your record's social security number. When you call in for information or to make a payment, it always speeds up the process if you have this number handy.


What is the difference between 2-Step and 3-Step Plating?

The main difference between two step and three step plating is that in the latter an extra set of parts is made that serves as a master of your recording. This extra set of parts becomes necessary when you are pressing your records in large quantities. For a standard weight record, two step plating will cover you up to about 6,000 records, and the three step plating process will produce up to 25,000 records. These numbers are cut in half for a 180 gram record.


What's the difference between a sleeve and a jacket?

Sleeves are the paper lining actually touching your records, while jackets are the outer cardboard covering. We have several options for sleeves and jackets. Our standard sleeve is white paper, die cut to show the center label. These are free with your order. Other options, including custom printed sleeves, are available. We also offer printing services for your jackets.


What's United Copyright Compliance Policy?

ALL orders submitted to United Record Pressing are audio tested. If your source material contains samples of any kind, regardless of length, you will be asked to edit out the sample or your order will be rejected. If the order is rejected, you will be billed for any charges incurred to the point of audio testing as well as an order cancellation fee.


When licensing samples, what do I need to do?

For example, if you sampled "Blue Suede Shoes" by Elvis Presley, you would need a master license from RCA as the owner of that specific recording and a mechanical license from Harry Fox Agency to pay the royalties to the publishing company. See below for further definition of the licensing terms


What is a master license?

If you're putting someone else's recording on your record either as a sample or in its entirety you need a master license. This is obtained from the original owner of the actual recording that is being replicated (ie: record label, movie, television, etc). This license pays for the use of the exact replica of material owned by the record label, artist, production company, etc.


What is a mechanical license?

A mechanical license is needed when you are using either a cover song or are licensing someone else's song. This can usually be obtained through the Harry Fox Agency ( The mechanical license pays royalties to the writers/publishers of the material being used. If the material is not available through Harry Fox Agency then the publishing company would need to be contacted for this license.


What are your international copyright requirements?

Please see here to view each country's requirements.


Ok, I'm in. How do I submit my order?

To get the ball rolling we need your music, order form and artwork. You can send all of this in to

Let us know if your question wasn't answered here...